Saturday, January 9, 2010

Dueling Urges

At the beginning of December I applied for British citizenship - something I have wanted to do for many, many years.

The whole process is set to cost me just over $1,000 - one of the reasons it's taken me this long to do it. If my father had been the British citizen instead of my mother, or if I had been born just a few years later, I would have been eligible to hold British citizenship from birth as a natural right. However, because I am of a slightly finer vintage, and because my mother is the one with the geographically advantageous heritage, I need to pay for the right to eat peas with my fish and chips.

Ahead of me is a "three to six month" wait to see if the decision makers in Liverpool will allow me to call England home. The excitement of the prospect of living overseas almost overwhelms me every time I see scones with jam and cream on a menu, and I have already begun investigating job and accommodation options in London.



So, I'm making a solid point of enjoying my last Australian summer, and my last few months in Perth (hopefully!) for quite some time. Sub zero Christmas' and weekend trips to Italy, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Her Other Tales

Related Posts with Thumbnails