Saturday, March 13, 2010

Cubes Of Colours And Smiles In The Surf

It feels like whenever I want to write a post, there's never just one thing for me to write about. I don't want either story to take away from the other, but I also can't hold off on telling either of them!

So, story one. Last night was the long-awaited rubiks cube party! I started the night off with a white skirt, blue polka-dot top, red belt, orange gloves, green scarf, and yellow Ray Ban style glasses. Quite a fetching outfit, but not one you particularly want to be sporting when the drive-through liquor store attendant decides he's not going to come and serve you in your vehicle, and you have to actually get out and be seen in public looking like the blind victim of someone's fashion prank.

By the end of the night, I'd managed to swap most of my outfit for all things coloured orange - including swapping my lovely red belt with the Best Lead for his lovely orange paisley shirt.


Having talked it over with Pinky in London on my way home from last night's festivities (have to love a convenient time difference!), I think we may well be bringing the Rubiks Cube party to Fulham before the end of the year!


But as fun as last night was (and it really truly was!), I really want to get onto story two! (See - one story always suffers!)

This morning I got up nice and early, slapped on some sunscreen, jumped into my board shorts, and headed down to the Fremantle Surf Life Saving Club to volunteer with the Disabled Surfers Association.



The DSA was started by surfer Gary Blaschke who, after a motor cycle accident, lost one of his knee caps and had to undergo extensive rehabilitation. Today, the DSA helps anyone with a physical or mental disability who wants to get out into the water and onto a board.


Participants today ranged from primary school aged kids, right up to experienced adults who just needed some extra help to enjoy the water. The smiles on everyones faces as we swooshed them along on their surfboards made today one of the most rewarding volunteer days I have ever experienced. To see immediately that you are brightening someone's day, and giving them an experience they will absolutely treasure, just makes you feel as though a little glow worm has snuck his way into your heart and your eyes and is making you glow from the inside out.




My work colleague and fellow volunteer, the Free Man.


The DSA operates during summer all around Australia, so although they're wrapping up for the 09/10 summer this month, if you live in Australia and don't mind the water, I couldn't recommend more highly that you get in touch with this loving organisation and spend a few hours next summer giving joy to surfers with a disability.


Such an amazing day...

Oh - and just to tie the two stories together - my toes were still channeling last night's rubiks cube in this morning's sand...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Her Other Tales

Related Posts with Thumbnails